The way that you choose to decorate your home is very important. It says a lot about your personal style and your lifestyle. When you are shopping for home décor pieces, it can be easy to become overwhelmed. You may not know exactly what you’re looking for or how to find the best pieces for your space.
It can be helpful to have some guidance or ideas to get you started. These five tips for choosing home décor will help you to feel less lost and more confident in your search!
- Add a pop of color. Even if you want to keep your home mostly neutral, a little pop of color never hurts. It’s good to do this with an accent piece instead of with a large piece of furniture. One great way to add more color to your space is with an area rug. This can really tie the room together and make it look more homey as well. This is a pretty colorful rug to add to your space.
Florance Boho Vintage Medallion Rug
Boho chic in a color palette that would suit an urban retreat or beach bungalow, the modern coloration of this classic design is a statement maker in any space. Power loomed using the softest polypropylene available, its durability matches its beauty. Try it in a living space for added interest, or in a bedroom to mitigate noise and add a cozy feel.
- Look for pieces that will last. It’s important to find home décor pieces that are going to hold up over time. You should look for durable items that are going to last more than a year. You don’t want to have to replace your items every year, do you? This will save you money, time, and effort in the long run. Plus, you can keep using the pieces you really love.
- Be sure to measure. If you’re buying larger pieces, make sure they’re going to fit where you want them to. This is especially necessary for furniture, rugs, mirrors, and other bigger items. Measuring ahead of time will make a big difference. You don’t need to worry too much about small decorative pieces that will easily fit on shelves or tables.
- Choose functional lighting. There are plenty of lighting options, but you need to find ones that are functional. It doesn’t make sense to have a lamp that barely lights up a room. To start, look for these two main types of lighting: task and overhead. These are a great starting point.
Alina 6-Light 28″ Brass Cluster Pendant Chandelier, Black/Brass
Featuring a brushed brass and flat back finish, this six-light chandelier is both neutral and decorative. With clear glass spheres, this chandelier is decorated carefully to evoke elegant detail. The spoke layout of the arms would be particularly well suited to above a round dining table or a contemporary kitchen island.
Melbourne 22.5″ Metal LED Task Lamp, Black/Brass Gold
Featuring a cone-shaped shade, this black and brass task lamp is the perfect desk companion whether completing a homework assignment or perusing the newspaper. The design is contemporary and minimalist, while remaining eye catching. The brass accents pair well with the rest of our Apollo series, which registers the currents trends of gold tone hardware and geometric shapes.
- Stick to loose guidelines. If you set strict guidelines for yourself before you go shopping, you may not be able to find the perfect pieces you have in mind. Keep an open mind and be willing to try something new. By doing this, you may come across pieces you normally wouldn’t have picked up. Step outside of your comfort zone and see what you can find.
- Shop within your home. Though it can be fun to go out and buy brand new pieces, there are likely plenty of items you can already use in your house. Take a look at what you already have. There may be items you can move from one room to another for a completely different look. Do this before spending a lot of money on new items. Then, you can spend a little more on the new items that you do decide to buy. Plus, if you find items in your home that don’t have a place, you can donate them or resell them to make money to put toward your new décor.