How you decorate your kitchen can have a big impact on the overall feel of your home. It’s a pretty important part of the renovation process. Because of this, you don’t want to overlook the kitchen or take the decision lightly.
Here are a few tips to help you find the right lighting for your kitchen:
- Figure out what your style is: When you are decorating your home, you want to make sure that everything flows well. You shouldn’t mix and match styles in most cases. Even if you like multiple types of kitchen décor, you should narrow it down to one style to keep everything cohesive. Make this decision early on so your search is more productive.
- Look into getting dimmers: You can get dimmer light switches to change the brightness level of the kitchen. This is great for creating mood lighting. You should try to get separate switch plates. This will allow you to control individual parts of the room instead of controlling all of them at once. These are a good way to work with your lighting and give you a lot of options.
- Save pictures of kitchens you like: As you scroll through social media or look at home décor websites, save pictures of the kitchens that are visually appealing to you. Then, revisit these images. Take a look at the lighting in each picture and see if that specific part of the photo is something you’d like in your home. Getting inspiration is very helpful and can send you in the right direction.
- Be sure to measure: If you’re looking for lighting that hangs over a kitchen table or an island, you’ll want to make sure you measure. This is true as you search for lighting options and once you’re installing them. Check to ensure that the lights don’t hang too low. Some low lights above kitchen tables can make you feel warm too, so be aware of that.
- Consider accent lighting: This won’t be your main source of lighting, but it is something extra you can add. Accent lighting can go along the bottoms of your cabinets and draw attention to your backsplash. It is a great idea if you have anything special to show off in your kitchen. It’s nice to add it to your kitchen shelving too.
- Think about your kitchen’s size: If you have a large kitchen, one small pendant won’t work. You could do a series of smaller lights or one big light. If you have a smaller kitchen, it could be too much to add a huge light. Choose lighting that is appropriately sized to keep everything proportionate.
Kitchens are a very busy place and need the right lighting. You may be in your kitchen early in the morning before work, when you eat dinner, and again for a late night snack. It’s also where gatherings will take place so it needs to be ready to entertain your friends and family. An important room in the house deserves to have great lighting!