Because it's summertime, lots of homeowners are updating their outdoor spaces. They want their patios, decks, and porches to be in great shape. This is the time of year for cookouts, bonfires, and other outdoor parties.
Before you have your guests over, you want to make sure your outdoor space is ready for entertaining. One of the best ways to improve the look of your porch is with outdoor lighting. Here are some of the top tips you should know as you add outdoor lighting to your home.
- Include lighting for different purposes. In your home, you probably have lighting for different purposes. Commonly, these purposes are ambient, task, and accent. Ambient lights may be on walls and posts. Task lighting should light pathways for safety. Accent lighting includes lights such as spotlights. If you can't buy all of these types of lights right now, prioritize based on your needs.
- Measure your space. Before you go and buy light fixtures, you should take measurements. You need to make sure you don't add a huge light fixture to a small space. On the other hand, a tiny light fixture won't look right in a large area. This is especially important when shopping online because you won't be able to see the fixture in person prior to its arrival.
- Take a look from another perspective. You should look at your outdoor space from inside to see where you want lights. If one area is particularly dark at night and could use extra light, start there.
- Shop for delicate lighting for entertaining. Your guests don't want a bright, bold light on them as they dine or talk outdoors. Look for a delicate light for a subtle brightness. There are indirect styles available that are perfect for this purpose. You could also purchase lights and bulbs with a dimmer option so you have some choices.
- Consider the style of your outdoor space. As you shop, think about the colors and style that you have incorporated into your outdoor space. You should try to find lighting options that complement that style. You want to keep everything cohesive and make sure it works well together. Even the metals that you select should match your other metal accents.
Our Top Outdoor Lighting Picks
Need some help choosing the right outdoor light fixtures for your space? Here are some of our top picks:
Swift 6.25" Outdoor Metal/Glass Integrated LED Sconce, Black
This small, round outdoor downlight has low-key modern style. Add some curves to the straight lines of mid-century modern - use a pair to flank a doorway or entry gate, or place a row along a wall for subtle exterior lighting. The durable black iron finish fits in everywhere.
The Swift Integrated LED Sconce has a modern style and comes in a black iron finish. This finish is durable and ready to withstand the elements outdoors. Buy two to place around an entryway and provide plenty of light for your outdoor space.
Silverfish 61" Outdoor Woven Globe LED Floor Lamp, Coffee/Black
Our take on a Southeast-Asian bamboo lantern, crafted into a modern floor lamp. Wicker-woven plastic covers a sturdy metal frame, and the bulb is protected by an ivory plastic cover. The dark brown woven pattern creates moody accent lighting.
The Silverfish Woven Globe Floor Lamp is a modern way to add accent lighting to your outdoor space. It comes in a beautiful coffee and black color combination, which goes well in nearly any space. It's perfect beside an outdoor sofa or in the corner of your deck.
As you shop for outdoor lighting options, keep the previously mentioned tips in mind. These will help you to make a great decision about your outdoor lighting. Don't forget to check eyely.com for more outdoor light fixtures!